View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM
seven6
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Tu-95 PIC
Default Leaving the career for med school

Long story short, I am getting real sick and tired of it all. Eagle in bankruptcy, Pinnacle looking for pay cuts (Good job on standing up to management), Gojet/TSA fiasco. Ten years ago I would of never imagined considering anything but someting involving aviation as a career. Now the thought of going to medical school is sounding a lot more appealing and has been lingering in my head longer than I anticipated it would: Expect to make six figures after completing residency, home every night, constantly a shortage of qualified personal, etc, etc. ER doctors work around 30 hours a week and make just under $400k a year. They also have a "reserve" systems similar to airport ready reserve, where doctors get top notch facilities and are on standby waiting for ER patients. I can keep going on and on about how well they have it, but I know there must also be some negative aspects to this career.

I am in my mid twenties and I don't think it's too late even if it means four years of medical school and four more years of residency. My questions for APC members are:

-Am I nuts?

-Has anyone heard of an airline pilot leaving the career and going to medical school?

-At the end what specialty did the former pilot choose?

-Were they happy/satisfied after they left?

I appreciate everyones opinion and advice.