View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 PM
FLY6584
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 737 right

You're never too late for med school. With that said the grass isn't always greener. Doctors are taking huge paycuts. You definitely aren't guaranteed $400,000 right out of residency. Surgeons make between $400 and 600k. General practitioners and ER doctors are more in the $150-200k range (I could be wrong). Sure you're not going to be poor, but the hours and headaches are there just as much as you see in the airlines. Lot's of school and student loans ahead with no guarantee on your return. Not to mention the health care system debacle that is going on in our country.

With that said I joined a doctor forum similar to our airline forum a few years back when I was considering making the cross over to be a Pilot Physician in the Air Force. You'd be surprised how many...

"I'm thinking about leaving medicine and becoming a pilot" threads you will find on their forums. Like I said the grass isn't always greener.

The fact of the matter is both of our professions require a great deal of commitment, both financial and mental dedication, for many years before you see any return on your investment.

Personally I made my decision after talking to a lot of my doctor friends. Like I said we all have to pay our dues at the beginning, but when I finally make it to the top I want a lot of time off and that's not something doctors have a lot of. They work long hours and have a lot of headaches from insurance companies, medicare, etc. Sure they have the edge in the salary department, but I think I'd rather make a little less, but work a whole lot less and know that when I come home I'm leaving my work at work. Just my .02.

Good luck!