View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 03:00 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by seven6 View Post
Long story short, I am getting real sick and tired of it all. Eagle in bankruptcy, Pinnacle looking for pay cuts (Good job on standing up to management), Gojet/TSA fiasco. Ten years ago I would of never imagined considering anything but someting involving aviation as a career. Now the thought of going to medical school is sounding a lot more appealing and has been lingering in my head longer than I anticipated it would: Expect to make six figures after completing residency, home every night, constantly a shortage of qualified personal, etc, etc. ER doctors work around 30 hours a week and make just under $400k a year. They also have a "reserve" systems similar to airport ready reserve, where doctors get top notch facilities and are on standby waiting for ER patients. I can keep going on and on about how well they have it, but I know there must also be some negative aspects to this career.

I am in my mid twenties and I don't think it's too late even if it means four years of medical school and four more years of residency. My questions for APC members are:

-Am I nuts?

-Has anyone heard of an airline pilot leaving the career and going to medical school?

-At the end what specialty did the former pilot choose?

-Were they happy/satisfied after they left?

I appreciate everyones opinion and advice.
Interesting dilemma - I think you need a lot more exposure to the medical field and what it means to be a physician. It is not sunshine and roses, but clear benefits and drawbacks to the career.

Your decision is really primarily not about salary, because the lifestyle choice that you are about to make will dominate your whole experience, er.., well, your whole life! If your reasons for becoming a physician are only as enumerated above (primarily financial), you will likely have a huge disappointment. You have to decide first, and foremost, "do I want to become a doctor." Salary will come and go, what may be high paying now may be low paying later. There are a LOT of better ways to earn money at much lower personal cost and work.

First of all, your numbers are way off for the ER doctors... National median salary is probably near to $225k, not "just under 400k". Medicine is weird in that big city salaries are likely lower than those out in "undesirable" areas (supply and demand... people are willing to work for cheap in Boston but not in Fargo, North Dakota.) ER physicians have huge stress, and a very high malpractice / rate of getting sued.

Secondly, starting medical school requires prerequisites, including biology, chemistry, physics... have you done these in college? If not, you'd need a minimum 2 year postbac program prior to applying to medical school. If you didn't go to a strong college, getting into a good medical school can be difficult. Schools discriminate a bit against older applicants, meaning it is harder to get in a bit (but if you are still in your 20's that should be ok) as they have less "time" to practice, and residency positions are still subsidized by the government a bit (but not much). If you don't go to a good medical school, getting into a good residency (competitive residency) could also be difficult.

Expect to earn $45k when in residency and fellowship, together with budgeting $150k in student loans.

Short story is, it can be done, but is a huge commitment, and not something to be taken casually. You shouldn't decide something like this over the internet, but be in touch with doctors, perhaps a school counselor, and talk to people in and out of training. Certainly talking with fellow pilots is useful for the pilot perspective, but also mosey on down to studentdoctor dot net, they will have a lot of information for you and people would be happy to help.