View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Zoot Suit
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
Why does everyone think that just because the earth once had high CO2 levels or there were ice ages in the past that this would be OK again? What matters is not the way the earth was before, but the way it is now. Our society is dependent on this current climate. Just because the Sahara used to be a rain forest, the Midwest used to be under the sea, and Europe used to be covered in ice does not mean it would not be disastrous if that happened again.

I don’t have a dog in this fight because I don’t listen to a pilot’s view on science just as I would listen to scientist’s views on landing. There are a lot on APC who like to criticize others for believing in climate change by saying they are just regurgitating reports from scientists who have an agenda, but are they not doing the same thing? There is money to be made on both sides of this debate, so there are a lot of half-truths and misconceptions on both sides.

One of my favorite APC arguments against climate change is when people find specific examples of record snow fall amounts in months or areas that don’t normally see that much snow. If anything that supports climate change because high atmospheric moisture content supports the argument that the atmosphere is warming and the climate is changing. And even if you take the examples where posters just report record cold spells in winter, then how would you explain the incredibly warm winter the Northeast is experiencing now? Normally this time of year the streets have 2-foot snow banks on the side and it is painfully cold. So far, it has only snowed 3 times (including a strange storm in October) and the snow has always melted the next day. For the majority of January, the temperatures have been in the mid 50s!
Well then we are in big trouble because in the billions of years the earth has been evolving, the climate changes. And that won't change.

P.S. Pilots are known for thinking a lot of themselves but they pale in comparison to someone who thinks humans can change/stop mother nature. Sure would be some money to be made if one could!!!!!!!