Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
BTDTB4
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2011

Originally Posted by forgot to bid
I'll say this as a comparison purposes, me and my regional buddies n my new hire Delta class were looking at the syllabus excited over how many training sessions bere built into it. It's a lot. I think my new hire at the regional was 4+1 in the sim and 2+1 in the airplane. It may have been 5+1 but not any more than that for sure, 4 seems right. I don't think they're saving money. Don't quote me but going from instructor based systems and orals to computer based ones saved I want to say 60-75% and that's including 4 to 8 sesssions in a FTD and 9 in a level D sim. The added bonus is every pilot has seen the exact same material wheras before it was instructor and check airman dependent.

Well, let’s look at the training you were excited about. I am presuming that when you say you received “4+1 in the sim” and “2+1 in the airplane” you mean 4 simulator training periods and 1 check period in the simulator, followed by 2 training periods followed by a check period in the airplane. I’ll also presume that the simulator training periods were scheduled for 4 hours – splitting the time between the two occupants and the check ride was over as soon as the tasks were all completed – and I’d guess that the check portion took each pilot about 1:20 to complete. I’ll also presume that the airplane time was somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes for each pilot, for both of the training stints as well as for the check. Am I close?

If I am, what we have is the following:
4 X 2 hours at the simulator controls for training: = 8.0 hours training in the simulator.
1 X 1.3 hours at the simulator controls for the check: = 1.3 hours check in the simulator.
2 X 0:30 at the airplane controls for training: = 1.0 hour training in the airplane.
1 X 0:30 at the airplane controls for your check: = 0.5 hours check in the airplane.

For a grand total: = 10.8 hours

Also, let’s look at a typical traditional training program using a Level D simulator (or Level C with appropriate experience). This example uses 11 simulator training periods, 1 period for the check, and 1 period for the LOFT.
11 X 2 hours at the simulator controls for training: = 22.0 hours training in the simulator.
1 X 1.3 hours at the simulator controls for the check: = 1.3 hours check in the simulator.
1 X 2 hours at the simulator controls for the LOFT: = 2.0 hours LOFT in the simulator.

For a grand total: = 25.3 hours

And, let’s also look at a typical AQP training program, almost all of which also use Level D (or, again, Level C with appropriate experience). This example uses either a full flight simulator with motion and visual systems OFF, or a training device for a period devoted to a “systems procedures validation” at the conclusion of the ground school courses. This period is not included in the simulator/FTD calculations.
This particular approach uses 4 simulator training periods, a simulator period for a “maneuvers validation,” or “MV,” and 4 additional simulator training periods. These training periods are followed by a LOFT session. The last period is conducted for the “type rating” or “proficiency” check ride, and is called the Line Oriented Evaluation, or LOE, and is conducted in “real time” between actual departure and arrival airports depicted in the simulator.

4 X 2.0 hours at the simulator controls for training: = 8.0 hours training in the simulator.
1 X 2.0 hours at the simulator controls for “MV:” = 2.0 hours of MV in the simulator.
4 X 2.0 hours at the simulator controls for training: = 8.0 hours training in the simulator.
1 X 2.0 hours at the simulator controls for LOFT: = 2.0 hours training in the simiualtor.
1 X 2.0 hours at the simulator controls for LOE: = 2.0 hours LOE in the simulator.

For a grand total: = 22.0 hours

Not saving money? Hmmm.