Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 AM
WhiteH2O
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Sitting down and facing front. Why would you want to know that?

Some say that an aviation degree will help you as a pilot. There is really no truth to that. Yes, you will know a little more about aerodynamics and weather, but nothing that is required to fly a plane. Some aviation degrees will get you reduced hiring mins at some airlines, but that isn't because you will be a better pilot, more because money is being passed around to make the deals.

The reality of it is, any degree will get you the job as long as you have the experience and IFR knowledge to go with it. The reason that airlines look for people with degrees, is because people with degrees have proven that they know how to learn, so they are more likely to get through ground school.

In this way, aviation degrees are a waste of money and time. You could get another degree in law, business, accounting or something else that you find interesting, and have a back-up. Even if you never need a back-up, many corporate companies would sure like to have you with one of those other degrees, now they know what you will be doing when you aren't flying. Definitely make you more marketable than someone with an aviation degree.

I started with the aviation degree because it was a four year degree and it helped me get financial help to learn to fly. Now I am looking at Masters degrees that I will go right into once I finish this. Not only to have something to fall back on, but also for personal enrichment. It is okay for some people, but I don't want to go through life with some useless aviation degree as my highest education.