Old 02-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Flying Ninja
Need More Flight Time!

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Flight Simulator X

I recommend that you get that 4 year degree. If you have any endeavors to go further than regional, you're going to need that degree. I agree with aceirishpilot08 that you do NOT want to get into debt. Pick your flight school very carefully. I went to a flight school that was less than honest and definitely shady with an ego bigger than this planet and I got burned big time. I "drowned" out because they didn't deliver on their training timeline and it ended up costing more to complete my training. Just to let you know, I am currently paying back my loan at $1000 per month on a $100K debt over 15 years. My dream to fly for an airline is OVER.

The flight school you absolutely want to avoid is the one that I attended, now being branded as FTSI/CAPT or Commercial Airline Pilot Training program. They're VERY expensive, and you get a LOT LESS for your money. They're going to try to wow you with new Cirrus and a Level D simulator. While they all sound fun, you're going to be paying big time for that fun and at the end of the day, you won't even get a CFI out of them far less CFII, MEI, etc. So, tread carefully. You don't want to pay these clowns $100k for your flight training when you can get more elsewhere for a lot less money.

You will want to get your flight instructor certifications. They will definitely be your key to success. In the mean time, I suggest that you learn as much as you can about the industry, ask a lot of questions on the forums, get your private pilot and see how you feel about it all. Aviation is not all peaches and cream and anyone who tells you otherwise is either from FTSI/CAPT or is selling you snake oil. Best of luck to you.