View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Timbo
Runs with scissors

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

My Wife's Grandmother lived to be 102...and from about age 82-92 I would sneak her a 6 pack of Coors Light a couple times a week, put it in the back of her fridge. She would tell the others they were mine, but she drank one every day. She said that's what kept her 'lubricated'.

And she walked a lot, almost every day, about a 3 mile loop, from her house to the post office, to her book club, to her girlfriend's house and back home. She never smoked though.

My Dad died of cancer when he was 33, I was 6. He smoked like a chimney. I do not have a single picture of him without a cigarette in his hand, even in his wedding photo, so I had a pretty strong incentive to never start.

My mother is still going strong at 78, very sharp mind, does income tax work pro-bono for the 'elderly'! She also walks 3 miles every morning and drinks a beer a day with dinner! (and not a Light Beer, but the real stuff, Sam Adams or Smutty Nose Stout)

But she was early into the 'health food' craze, even before there was a health food craze. When we were kids in the 1960's, she had us drinking skim milk, always. And oatmeal for breakfast, no eggs and bacon. She had a salad on the table before every meal and NO SALT allowed. We rarely ate red meat, mostly chicken, fish and pasta dishes.