Thread: Transcon Turns
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 01:10 PM
WatchThis!
Da Man

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: DC-10 F/O

Originally Posted by Meworry?
Your points are well taken. I hope (and believe) that JB has the fortitude to try something based on an honest evaluation that it will work well for all involved.
That is a danger and a challenge. With competing intrests can you really find an honest evaluation ?

Management will like the reduced manpower the waiver will create - works well for them.

Line holders will like having 18 days off per month and have the ability to rest in preparation for reduced rest pairings - works well for them too.

Reserves will pay with reduced margins of safety by not being able to properly rest for such pairings. Of course one or even two of these trips would be OK for most of us. The real danger comes from the prolonged and cumulative sleep debt of several months of reduced rest flying. That's where the JB reserve pilots will get hammered - and the entire operation see's a reduction in the margin of safety. Is it an accident waiting to happen? Who knows. Does it reduce the margin of safety? For reserve pilots - I think so.

Worth a disclaimer here - I'm not a JB pilot so take the above with a grain of salt.

Good luck with the program