View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 03:00 PM
BoilerUP
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by Std Deviation View Post
One of the biggest barriers is part 91 operations with no written SOPs. At least with an SOP pilot X has something to "fall back on" when pilot Y is 30 knots fast on approach. The better departments natural arrive at the realization that it's better to fly the book and that the book requires annunciation of a deviation along with corrective action.
My company doesn't have a written ops manual; what we do have is two professional pilots that communicate very well with each other and aren't afraid to call out when the other isn't flying the way they are supposed to.

What is "supposed to", one might ask, without a written policy? Short answer is you KNOW what the 'right' way is, long answer is following profiles provided by the manufacturer and/or Part 142 training providers.

We don't have an SMS manual either, but that doesn't stop us from having a highly effective safety management system in the two guys up front...but I digress

My point being, if one of the folks in a crew seat is a d-bag or cowboy, having an ops manual won't do anything to change that negative attitude.