View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM
SRS CLB
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: 22°08′58″N 113°35′29″E

Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
Now, as I understand, an FAA Type rating won't transfer to other licenses is that correct?

I have an FAA License and an ANAC License (Brazil), on which license would it be more beneficial to get the type rating under? Not that I'm rushing out of here to go buy a type rating, but if I get one on my ANAC license there's a small process I can go through to get it on the FAA license.

thanks.

ps. I guess the main question is: Would I need to take another type rating in the country of employment or is FAA + Type rating enough?
Most companies that hires expats will require a valid type rating (sim check within last 6 months) and a valid license and a current Class I medical from one of the ICAO member states which the US is a member. Everything has to be current on the license you choose for conversion. Therefore, the FAA license will suffice in most cases.

After you report for training, you will need to take the knowledge exam for license conversion and sim training + checkride anyway. Usually you can waive some subjects doing a license conversion depending on the individual country requirement but unlike the FAA you will need to sit for several papers.

Check with your potential employer to find out their specific requirement just to be safe.