View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 PM
phalanxo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2010

Originally Posted by Ray Blaszak View Post
For example, if you are struggling on approach plates you need to ask your instructor for a ground school.
The instructor you get may or may not be willing to do ground. I wouldn't count on it, some of mine did, some weren't really willing to. They don't get paid for ground, so don't expect a lot of ground.
Also, you mentioned not being forced to take a checkride. I can't tell you how many checkrides I was sent into kicking and screaming. Somehow I managed to make it through them, so I guess I wasn't always right, but it wasn't pretty at times during the orals/flights. Some of the things about ATP are ridiculous... Like near the end of the program, you get 5.0 multi for your commercial multi, 4.0 for initial CFI in the twin, and then 2.0 or 3.0 for instrument instructor (don't quote me). It's really brutal, you have no time to make mistakes in the airplane, and it's $400-475/hr for more Seminole time. All in all I liked my ATP experience but it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Don't think getting all your ratings that fast is going to be easy.
A local flight school just can't compete in my opinion - are they really gonna have a CFI that can work with you 4 hours a day, and be able to guarantee that there will be a plane available, and that it'll work? If something breaks before your checkride, can they get another plane there fast? Local training is great and to each their own, but I wouldn't try and do a 90 day fast track style program at a small flight school. It's just not possible, accept that it's going to take longer.