View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Flyhayes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Admiral

Originally Posted by Ray Blaszak View Post
You can have somebody that took 2 years to get all their certs that still doesn't know anything and somebody that might've took 90 days that is much more knowledgeable. You have to judge each individual well as an individual. I know me personally I strive to be the best so if I know I lack in a particular area I am going to study that much more harder and pick that many more brains. I have met guys that have been instructing for decades and I couldn't stand flying with them. I had an instructor that went to ATP (multiple actually) and they were a lot more enjoyable to fly with. One of the most knowledgeable instructors I ever flew with had 60,000 hours with about 40 or so were on floats. She definitely knew her way around an airplane.
I have yet to meet a pilot through an ATP-like program that was a very well rounded aviator. To their credit, they can produce a product over a remarkably short period of time. However personally find I find the quality of the product to be lacking.
Certainly there are the few 2 year duds out there who compare poorly to a few 90 day wonders. But that's kind of like comparing which of two turds more resembles a flower.
To strive for the best is a good trait, more pilots should strive for that. But remember, no matter what you strive for, you don't know what you don't know until you know it.

just my tarnished 2 pennies