Old 05-01-2012, 09:29 PM
osuav8r
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: 737 CA
Default The financing is how they stick it to people

I'm an Oklahoma State Grad (Stillwater) and instructed for Oklahoma State for a couple years during school and a little bit after I finished. You probably have the message already, but i wanted to put a little finer point on it in case you haven't looked at it this way......... The main reason Spartan gets by with charging so much for flight time and instruction is that they facilitate getting the loans for you so you can way overspend for training.

I did a lot of my training at Christiansen lease a plane which is just down the road from Spartan at Jones Riverside airport and the wet hourly rate (with fuel) was about 1/3 as much as it was at Spartan. So for basically 3 times as much money, they'll provide you with the financing to do it. Not a good deal in my book, but i guess it works for some people. If you can find a way to scrape together some money bartending, cashing in savings bonds, beg your relatives etc, you'll be way ahead of the game financially. Going into your career as an instructor and later as a regional pilot will be MUCH easier (still bad, but doable) if you avoid the huge debt.

I have no horse in this race but if you're in the Tulsa area, call Christiansen lease a plane and ask them for Wayne Cothran's number. He is an ex corporate pilot that is a free lance instructor and he is fantastic and has no interest in padding his logbooks on someone else's dime. I am a mainline pilot, several time regional pilot, instructor for a couple of years, and there are things I learned from him that still serve me well today. I seem to recall that he prefers to train people for the more advanced ratings, but even if he doesn't fly with you, he's a good guy to know for your more advanced ratings and he'll steer you in the right direction for your private.

Do whatever you think is best, but I think a small flight school (Lease a plane has great rates!) will serve you much better than a pricy flight school.