View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 05:09 AM
Duksrule
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Default Help for a Navy guy with questions

OK here is my background. I am a Navy Maintenance Officer that will be retiring in anywhere from 1-3 years. I am currently 36 and have been in and around airplanes for the last 20 years. I will either retire at 0-4 or 0-5 (was enlisted for 9 years) depending if I stick around those other 3 years. I will probably do the other 3 years so that I will not only get a larger retirement but also be getting paid well while building hours on the side. I will have a pretty decent retirement check coming in so I won't be homeless. I have a Bachelors degree from ERAU (no I didn't do any flight training there). For years I have wanted to fly and for some reason or the other something always came up. Well now I have made getting my ratings the number one priority and am fast on my way to my private license with the intent to get all of my ratings through CFI. I have no delusions of being a Captain at FEDEX making more money than I can spend. In fact I think my goal would be to end up at NETJETs, though I wouldn't be upset going to an airline that I could make a decent salary and nice travel perks.

OK now the questions

-Once I get my private and instrument I plan to buy my own plane for pleasure use. This will also help me build hours on top of instructing.
-I am hoping to get all of my ratings in a year. I am currently flying at a local FBO and would hope to instruct part time while I am still in the navy so that I can gain experience and build hours. I imagine I should have a few hundred hours once I am ready to punch out of the navy. Would it be a good idea to continue to instruct at that time or maybe go to one of the schools that have a bridge program to get to a regional at low hours? I know that isn't the way most people would go but I am behind the 8 ball with my age.
-Given my situation is there a better path to make my way to NETJETS? I know that nothing in aviation is a sure thing but like I said, I will have decent money coming in and that is the end goal so I can spend a few years of "lean" times.
-I have my A&P license and the 20+ years in the Navy working on airplanes and running the maintenance department. Do you think that this will be a big plus for potential employers?
-I can retire next year at 37 or stick around 3 more years and build hours on the side then get out at age 40. While the other 3 years would allow me to get more done, would it be a better idea to go ahead and get out at 37 and get myself out there?
-Also I was thinking about maybe getting my MEL after my PPL and then doing my instrument training in a twin. That way it isn't a lot more to get both my instrument and also build the multi time at the same time. Is this a good idea?

Last edited by Duksrule; 02-15-2007 at 05:47 AM.