Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM
wiggy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: A330 capt

Re cockpit lighting: Flying around the carrier at night rapidly creates the ingrained habit of darkening the cockpit lighting as much as possible. Also, generally seems very counter intuitive to have lighting so high that you only see reflections of inside of cockpit when you look outside. Managed to get over my old Navy lighting habits flying international, where a fully lighted cockpit helps alertness, and there is virtually no visual traffic to be seen...just watch the fish-finder and make sure everything says + or - thousands of feet. I still prefer a darkened cockpit enroute flying domestic...but right now I'm not worried about all that.....I'm afraid that baring my aviation soul against the grain on this issue will make me appear to be a "tool". Does fear of being a tool automatically make one a tool? I know I would be a tool if I talked about how ridiculously "fun?" flying around the ship is at night, and how I would gladly spend 24 hrs in total darkness to night-adapt if I though it would give me a 1% advantage on night landings,.......now I really sense myself teetering on the abyss of tooldom....