View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 12:24 PM
EWR73FO
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: IAH 737 CA
Default Jcba 6/15 + ????

FROM THE CHAIRMAN

Unfortunately, as is the case with our merger, the negotiations for a JCBA remain incomplete. Over the course of the past two weeks and more so within the past 48 hours, we were able to lessen the number of remaining open items and narrow the gap between the Company’s position and ours. Still, it has not been enough to finalize the terms of an agreement as we had hoped would be possible. For the most part, the remaining issues to be solved involve Scope, Compensation/Retro and R&I. I know that we came into this round of negotiations with a sincere desire to complete the deal. We made the moves necessary to do so. I could spend a lot of time lambasting management about their behavior and their lack of movement toward a deal, but at this point that would just be wasted words on the page. All who were here this week know that ALPA negotiated in good faith and with the full intent to complete the deal. We go home deeply disappointed but stand ready to finish the job we started.

While we did not reach an agreement in principle (AIP) for the JCBA on June 15, it does not mean we were defeated in our goal of reaching a deal in an expeditious fashion. Like a game that is not yet decided at the final buzzer, we are now heading into overtime. The days that we reserved in advance with the NMB for June 25-29 in anticipation of crafting final language for a tentative agreement (TA) will now be used to help complete bargaining for the JCBA.

Make no mistake – we have no intentions of letting negotiations for a JCBA linger unresolved. All options for helping us reach a deal remain on the table. This includes our request to the NMB on May 11, 2012 for an offer of arbitration, or release. (This letter was followed up with an additional letter to the NMB on May 30, 2012.) Although we remain miles apart on a handful of issues, the progress made since April has positioned us so that the remaining items can be resolved during a 30- day cooling-off period. Creating a real deadline at this time would compel the parties to make the final decisions necessary to reach a conclusion. To ensure that our resolve is firmly understood, a third letter to the NMB, reaffirming out request, was sent by ALPA yesterday at my and Capt. Heppner’s request. In addition, we will begin the process of balloting the membership to ascertain the level of support for a legal withdrawal of services (strike authorization ballot) on Monday, June 25, 2012. Watch for more information about the ballot next week.

I know that this news brings disappointment. I had hoped to report that we had reached an AIP today and to talk about the schedule for converting the terms of the agreement into language for a TA. While that is not the message I have to deliver today, I remain convinced that a deal is within reach. Now, more than ever, it is vitally important that our pilots remain professional and do not attempt to personally influence the pace of negotiations with unauthorized or unlawful actions. The CAL MEC asks you not to take your feelings about the negotiations into our work as pilots – whether it’s unnecessarily calling in sick or fatigued, or, when at work, changing your normal way of operating in the hopes that this will put pressure on the Company. Such activities could delay an agreement while the Company deals with us in court rather than at the bargaining table and give the court an excuse to put mediation or a release on hold. If you would like to express your extreme frustration with management’s apparent willingness to accept yet another delay in reaching a deal, may I suggest that you participate in the strike authorization ballot and consider the message that a high participation rate with a high approval rate will send.

Next week, your JNC will spend their time to regroup so as to be prepared for another intense, focused effort beginning June 25. We remain committed to reaching the right contract for our pilots as quickly as possible.