View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Jones14
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Default "Holding Out" Quiz

I'm going to be taking my ASEL CPL ride this coming week. The "holding out" grey areas are a little confusing so I was going to throw out a couple scenarios to discuss. It would be nice to have a firm understanding for the oral, as I know it's going to be an important area.

It's been a long work week and I've had the itch to fly. I'm thinking this weekend I'll make a little XC jog down to one of my favorite restaurants. I'm planning a Saturday morning flight, and discuss the trip with a friend. "That sounds fun..." We split the rental fee and pay our own bills for the food. Nothing different than when I was a new Private Pilot.

The following day a different friend hears of our trip and would like to do the same "sometime" with his wife. "We have no problem paying our share of the rental..." I make plans to do the flight the next weekend, but wouldn't have made the trip otherwise.

A friend who owns a C-172 has a business meeting 200 miles away and would like to use his plane. He has paperwork to get done before the meeting and therefore asks me to fly him there for a fee. We go, I smile and take the cash. This scenario, however, would be illegal if he paid for a rental plane and I flew him on the same trip?

The previous scenario, except now I'm flying boxes for his business. He does not come along on the trip. Still his plane.

Same scenario, but I'm flying two of his colleagues to the meeting. Still his plane. Sounds like a corporate pilot?

I see nothing like this in FAR 119.1 (CFI, banner tow, pipeline, etc)

Where does the Commercial Operator come into play? Throw in a few more tricky scenarios if you would like, I want to "wow" my D.E.