View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM
yimke
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: PNF

Originally Posted by Ray Blaszak View Post
I just took my commercial check ride today. One of our CP's explained holding out as bluntly as it gets. Anytime you are approached as a commercial pilot there's several questions you need to ask yourself first.

1.) Did I hold out? Just remember that you don't have to advertise or have an agent who advertises to be considered holding out. It also means you are known for having a willingness to accept contracts from anybody (i.e. I know a friend of a friend of a friend who flies to the Bahama's).

2.) Most important question IS THERE A SEAT FOR SALE on the airplane? If there is guess what your next question should be? Do you have an operating certificate.

3. And lastly who is furnishing the airplane? Just because your a commercial pilot doesn't mean you can't exercise private pilot privileges. If you friend Bob owns his own airplane he can pay you to fly him. As far as boxes go if you are receiving compensation to move boxes that could be considered an operation. Again if you have any scenario that sounds too good to be true contact the FSDO to make sure you are legal. It's most likely the PIC who will get sued and fined not the person who requested your services. AC 120-12A is a good reference although it is outdated.
I assume you passed?