View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Rotor2prop
ALL Days Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010

Originally Posted by Ray Blaszak View Post
I have seen this happen multiple times when a student needed a solo endorsement to fly a multi engine airplane even though he was already certificated to do a check ride with a DPE. In fact the DPE has come out and made the instructor endorse the student perhaps we are missing something here. Can't someone choose to log or not log dual instruction? I know at ATP now that they started doing combine PPL/IRA check rides they have supervised solo and XC time. I am not sure how they log it but I think it's strictly a loop hole to obtain the license as you would never solo a multi engine aircraft and the FAA knows this.

Look up solo endorsements in Part 61. A "solo endorsement" is only for a non rated student pilot. It doesn't matter if you have a private airship certificate and working on your helicopter rating you do not ever get a solo endorsement again once you get a certificate. You get the endorsement from 61.31 (d) for acting as PIC when not rated. This endorsement is even pre-printed in the back of Jeppesen Pro Pilot Logbooks.

As for the supervised PIC (solo) vs Dual. Think about it this way. Can you log solo and dual at the same time? No. So how could you log supervised PIC and dual at the same time?