View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 AM
JollyF15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Default Apples and Oranges

Originally Posted by XtremeF150 View Post
I think many of you take for granted how difficult flying an airplane can be. There is a lot of automation today that makes your life easier, but it can all dissappear in a second. The next time your taking that PC or new type ride tell me again what a cake walk it is and this is for an already highly trained pilot.
Doctors are smart people but I bet they still can't fly an airliner with multiple failures any more than I can replace a heart. HOWEVER we don't all do these things on a day to day basis. Most docs have a much more leisurely day that does not include heart surgery.

I spent 3 years working on becoming a doctor before I chose to become a pilot because they use to make similiar wages and I knew I would enjoy flying planes more. That is just to help throw some water on the flames to come.
I love flying but somewhere after I started working for the airlines the purity of the whole thing has become tarnished. Mgmt has definately turned my passion into a job.

Armed with what I know now about the airlines I usually tell every passenger I sit by going or coming from work, just how bad this industry is becoming and how much the company's are trying to cut costs. This includes training costs, maint. costs, salaries, and services. This will eventually lead to poor maint. and less qualified pilots and likely more incidents or accidents. I try to do everything I can to get th word out. Most of the general public are amazed at what is Really like to be a pilot.
Come on guys, let's not even try to compare a pilots job/responsibility to that of a Doctor. They earn the $'s because they deserve it and have to shell out a good portion of the $'s towards insurance.

As far as the Pre-911 salaries coming back, it just ain't gonna happen. I'd like it to, but let's get real. This is still a great job. If you enjoy it, and can put food on the table---then don't focus in so much on what's wrong and enjoy what's right with the job. If it's turned into only a "job" for you and you can't support your family doing it---then move on to something else.