View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Dashdog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007

Originally Posted by JonnyKnoxville View Post
The smooth operation of an airline requires the active cooperation of skilled pilots who are capable of judging when it does and doesn't make sense to request new parts and who conduct themselves in the spirit of wanting the airline to succeed. By having the judge throw out the pilots' contract, the airline has totally lost faith with its pilots and has no ability to run the airline properly. It's still perfectly safe, but if your goal is to get to your destination on time, you simply can't fly American. The airline is writing checks it can't cash when it tells you when your flights will be taking off and landing....
The main problem with a merger as best I can tell is that if US Airways takes over, American's executives will probably lose their jobs. So the contract fight is, in part, a fight to maintain American's independence for the sake of its managers. The cost of the fight, however, is that the airline can no longer reliably deliver passengers to their destinations. So stay far, far away.

I don't see this as an attack on the pilots, and I think it was a pretty good article, especially the two points above. He summarized pretty well what the pilots are doing, although sabotage may have been too strong of a word.