Old 03-04-2007, 12:16 PM
FXDX
Proponent of Hysteria

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: 3B

Originally Posted by kwri10s View Post
Here is what the contract says about passover:

Passover Pay Due To Junior Pilot’s Early Activation

In case of a junior pilot’s activation to a higher paying position out of seniority order, every senior pilot who meets the following prerequisites shall be paid as if he had activated in that higher paying position (passover pay):

i. the junior pilot and the senior pilot(s) hold an award for the same crew position; and
ii. the junior pilot’s award is from the same posting as the senior pilot’s award or from a subsequent posting; and
iii. the Company chooses to activate the junior pilot prior to the senior pilot(s) and the junior pilot’s activation delays the training and activation of the senior pilot(s).

Activation Date is defined as "the date a pilot is released from training upon a certified completion of IOE or, if training is not required, then on a date specified for activation by the company."

The issue is activation date. If the Union position of lateral bids will activate to the line prior to anyone that required training off the same posting, then why would everyone senior not get passover. The 800lb gorilla in this line of questioning are the "nuggets." If they can activate directly to the line in MEM prior to those that need training then on the next bid, those that need training can watch their training dates slide while the nuggets fill the 11 FO holes. There are 50+ nuggets all with the ability to slide right back to MEM. I don't know how long 50 FOs would allow training slots to slide. But at a 12 FO per month training cycle, they just cost you 4 months of widebody FO pay. 6 per month...and you get the picture.

Instant activation of junior pilots into a new domicile out of order could potentially allow a perpetual train for ANC slide to MEM pipeline. For example, if I want to bid MEM 11 Capt but I cannot hold it, then I bid ANC 11 Capt. If a new bid comes out and I can now hold the last MEM 11 Capt slot with a training slot 18 months farther down the road. I know with this lateral slide policy, I will keep my first training slot for 11 Capt, however, I can slide to MEM immediately. Effectively bypassing everyone senior to me who was awarded the same slot on the same posting.

Just a line of thinking that has made me go Hmmm.??!!
i is the answer to your question.

Lateral moves don't trigger passover because ANC FO and MEM FO are not the same crew position.

If you are only worried about the money then bid ANC FO or CAPT and take your chances. That is how the contract is worded and that is how the company is using the contract to its advantage to staff ANC.

If the money is that important to you and the ANC guys are getting such a good deal, then go bid ANC. Be prepared to do the time in ANC though.

If the guys are willing to game the system and take a chance on getting "stuck" in ANC long term then they deserve the pay because they are at least flying the equipment.

I am obviously wired differently because 2 years ago when my Bus training date was slid several times I didn't complain because I was losing money. Training slides occur all the time and will continue to do so regardless of the ANC golden nugget program. That is the way things go in our imperfect world.

Until we change the wording in i above we are just pizzing up a rope.