View Single Post
Old 01-08-2006, 06:27 AM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Originally Posted by dima
FlyerJosh,
where you able to find job right away after you graduated, or were you going typical way through CFI? My friend told me that with good GPA (>3.6) some airline representatives hire you right away, with minimum hours.. just wondering
First off, realize that "minimum hours" is a relative term. Even though I personally was hired with relatively low time, I do think that a graduate of any program should have more time than 300 hrs and a CRJ type rating to get hired by an airline...

In my case, I taught in GFK (outside of UND) during my senior year. I was interviewed by ACA (which became the now defunct Independence Air) in the spring of 2000 and offered a position as an intern.

After graduation, I moved back to VA, and spent the summer teaching and flying as a contract/corporate first officer. In the fall I started the internship and was hired by ACA as a CRJ first officer in December 2000.

I think it is realistic to expect lower minimums if you are a UND grad with a high GPA. However I don't think it's realistic to believe that you will be hired right after graduation with an airline that is flying regional jets. Plan on teaching/flying until you have roughly 600-800TT and 100ME.

I ended up just renting a seminole over the summer of 2000 and flying about 45 hours with a friend to get the required ME time to be hired.