View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 04:54 PM
pilatusguy
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Default F/Os as 121 sim check airmen?

FAR 121.411 states that check airmen (simulator) in an FAR 121 training program must meet the following qualifications:

(1) Holds the airman certificates and ratings, except medical certificate, required to serve as a pilot in command, a flight engineer, or a flight navigator, as applicable, in operations under this part;
(2) Has satisfactorily completed the appropriate training phases for the airplane, including recurrent training, that are required to serve as a pilot in command, flight engineer, or flight navigator in operations under this part;
(3) Has satisfactorily completed the appropriate proficiency or competency checks that are required to serve as a pilot in command, flight engineer, or flight navigator in operations under this part;
(4) Has satisfactorily completed the applicable training requirements of § 121.413; and
(5) Has been approved by the Administrator for the check airman (simulator) duties involved.

The way I read it a simulator check airman must:
1) Have an ATP and valid type rating.
2) Completed upgrade training, captain IOE and captain line check.
3) Have a regular captain PC.
4) Completed the academic requirements of FAR 121.413
5) Be approved as a check airman by FAA.

So is my interpretation correct? Does number 2 mean something different than I am reading? Can a POI approve a simulator check airman who has not completed captain IOE and a captain line check?

The reason I ask is there is a relatively new FAR 121 airline that is using first officers as simulator check airmen to conduct captain PC events. These are first officers who have not undergone captain upgrade. They are not contract instructors under an FAR 142 program, nor are they exempted under the age 65 or medical exemptions. To me this does not seem to jive with FAR 121.411.

Thanks for any input.