View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.
Default makes sense...

That makes sense because older 172s have a 40 degree electric flap setting. I flew a C172N with that on it but I do not remember there being a forward slip placard. Time to look for cockpit photos online.... By the way, the 40 degree setting was nearly useless and if it caused spins no wonder they took it away. It added some drag but was hardly worth the delay in retraction time.

By the way, anyone care to comment on whether it is safe or not do forward slips to a crosswind. The wind hits the airplane from the side and you broadside the oncoming wind; is this a recipe for disaster? Generally forward slips are done in winds coming straight down the runway, but they can be used to slow the aircraft in crosswinds by turning away from the wind. Right wind, hard left rudder, turn the airplane so it gets broadsided by the crosswind; pitch down hard and let the right aileron deflect upward to control the path. Obviously this wouldn't be useful for very long due to directional loss, but I wonder how much you run the risk of stalling the left wing since it is now in the turbulent wake of the rest of the airplane. I am leery of testing full forward slip in quartering crosswinds at low altitude because I fear the airplane may whipstall like the dreaded late-turn-to-final scenario. Or, maybe because the angle of attack is low in a forward slip the possibility of one wing stalling is negligible. Comments?

Last edited by Cubdriver; 03-06-2007 at 08:13 AM.