View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Captain Cargo
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: B767 - Lefty
Arrow

I felt compelled to dig this one out of the grave, because I feel strongly that the op was putting out a negative impression to any potential aviators who may read it. Shameful really. There could be a teenager - or any young person, somewhere with ambitions of the open skies crying his eyes out thinking he hasn't got a chance from reading this drivel.

While it is important to make the realities known, I don't think this post honestly reflects them. Especially when the business is constantly changing. As if the military hero self worship were not enough of a pant load, the words used in describing the obstacles, pitfalls and challenges of this business were neck deep in melodrama and exaggeration, and sound like the words of a raving burnout quite honestly. If the going were really as tough as described, there would be a quarter as many professional pilots as there are - military too. And the world needs pilots, and even more as time will tell.

To any prospective aviator, I would say don't be discouraged by what you read, because if there is anything some pilots love doing, besides flying, it's complaining. Trying to make a happy life in this profession is not always an A to B journey. There is no method to follow, only an outline. And in that outline are any number of avenues. But there is always room at the bottom if you really want to be here. Always someone quitting, retiring or moving up. Always an open door somewhere. And on that note, there is more to a life in aviation than the majors. We all share the same sky, so take one day at a time - sound advice for anybody. Set realistic building blocks for your goals. Don't stress out trying to forecast the future, and get yourself a seat in that cockpit. Every hour you log is another feather in your cap. Perhaps most of all, surround yourself with positive people who encourage you, and give it to you straight. But who don't treat you like a snowball in hell either.

Best of fortune to all the young bloods and old dogs!