Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Dwane
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2011

Originally Posted by osuav8r View Post
I'll take a stab at describing the difference. To give you perspective, I am an IAH 737 fo that was based in EWR for 6 months as a new hire, so take this with a grain of salt. If you do the 756 in EWR, you will pretty much only fly the 757 for a long time. It's mostly far western Europe stuff like London, Shannon, Dublin, Etc and it's pretty much all 2 pilot redeye flying. The upshot of doing it is that it's commutable. The downside of doing it is that it's pretty much exclusively 2 pilot redeye flying (no rest break in the back) which some people (me) don't do particularly well with. You will have higher seniority in seat on the 737 versus the 756 and the trip mix is a lot better in my opinion. There's a lot less redeye flying required and with the bulk of our fleet being 737-800's and 737-900's that pay the same as a 757, you're not giving hardly anything up on the hourly rate. The only downside I can see to the 737 in EWR is that a lot of times your trips aren't going to be commutable if you don't live within car distance of EWR. You will also fly 2 or 3 legs most days versus the bigger airplanes where you mostly fly one leg and you're done (not always though). Clear as mud?
Thanks for the info...definitely helpful! I do live in base, so commutable trips are not a necessity....