View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 12:31 PM
bcrosier
Eats shoots and leaves...

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Didactic Synthetic Aviation Experience Provider

Originally Posted by PearlPilot View Post
If I were the king of the FAA I would perhaps implement more training on stalls, icing and any other aspects of flying that pertains to air carrier operations. (Yes Colgan 3407 comes to my mind) I don't however think a 250 hour candidate is qualified to fly a CRJ.

{snip}

Should the FAA revisit the rule? If not, perhaps flight schools should or will have to drastically increase the pay of CFIs...
While I'm a big advocate of enhancing actual training, there is no substitute for real world experience. I don't think the 1500 hour rule needs to be revisited.

On the other hand, I think the minimums to fly Part 135 DO need to be revisited, and revised downwards to provide a more logical progression.

To again point out what has been stated on other threads on this topic: Only for the last few years have seen less than 2000 hours as an entry point to air carrier operations. Historically it has been 2000+ hours (often more like 3000-4000) to be competitive for a regional position. The fact that it's been so easy to get a regional position is part of what has fouled up the whole career progression scheme.