View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 05:42 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

My brief experience with eagle leads me to believe that they might operate the way you describe, and enjoy it too! Nothing like hazing the frosh for cheap entertainment!

Historically, many airlines would fire a new hire for anything, and if nobody scewed up they would pick someone at random and fire him just to keep everybody on their toes. This has largely gone by the wayside, and I would ceratinly expect 2-3 strikes online at most carriers...as long as gross stupidity is not involved. If you're gonna miss your show time, tell them in advance...

Common screwups (I have experience with most of these):

- No-show due to misreading schedule: Look at your sched EVERY SINGLE DAY, even on days off. Double check your military time conversion. 2000 vs. 2200 gets a lot of folks, I've done that and I've been in the military for 20 years!

- Check your time zone, and use two alarm clocks (wake up calls are unreliable). Your cell phone has an alarm, but be warned that in cities near a time zone they can switch back and forth at random. You REALLY have to watch your wakeup when you have a deadhead...your own crew won't leave without you, but a deadhead will.

- On reserve, check your cell phone reception constantly, and check for messages...sometimes they don't ring but roll straight to VM.

- Booze: Hopefully you have an 8 hour rule...that one's easy, don't F*&^ with it. If you get too sloshed and are going to flammable at show time, call in sick. TSA is on the look out for pilots who just crawled out of the pub. If you have a 12 hour rule...that's a personal choice, but don't violate it at the hotel (they know what time you report) or with anyone who has less to lose than you (FAs).

- Use discretion if you get friendly with FA's. They are not all level-headed adults.

- Be careful what you say in public on airplanes or in airports, even if out of uniform.

- Bend an airplane or violate a reg. Your best bet is probably honesty with the company...usually they will just make you do a PC and call it good.