View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 05:44 PM
LAfrequentflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Originally Posted by NE_Pilot View Post
Wouldn't that be similar to the ATP Professional Pilot Program, which includes jet training, that you would be paying for??

The point of those classes (and for a lot of college classes in general) is to help prepare you for what you will encounter in your future occupation. By learning/analyzing the systems of a complex aircraft (in this case 747-400), you would more than likely be able to encounter and deal with other, similar, systems on other jets in an effective manner. It gives you some background and past experience, lessening the learning curve.

As for your question about the "Mig Alley" stories, no they did not. They did however have good things to say about the school.

You seem to have a fixation on these professors telling stories about flying in Veitnam, specifically about "Mig Allet", yet if memory serves on the history department, "Mig Alley" was in Korea.
No it would not be similar. ATPs offers a course on the jets, its optional for extra money and completely unnecessary. I tell people that ask to not take it - its not worth it since the company will teach you on their dime. You'll learn more being a CFI for the few extra months.

I know Mig Alley was in Korea. I was talking about the 747 Captain. A korean war vet and 'Mig Alley' veteran may have been too old to fly the 747. Didn't the 747 enter service in 1968...Ok, maybe he could have flown over Mig Alley and flown the 747.