View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 01:23 PM
gcsass
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Tony,

It depends on what you are asking.....

Could the Company impose it.....sure, then they would have to defend their actions to an Arbitrator.....unilaterally imposing terms would not hold up; however, the damage may be done if they go this route. The more senior folks may get such cherry schedules that they don't want to go back....or it may wet the appetites of enough folks that they demand it.....(hey, we are talking about possibilities here....!!)

Or, is your question more along the lines of will we end up with PBS? If thats it....I think there is a fair chance we may end up with a form of it. My scenario revolves around the Company's opening position (which, in my opinion, was tactically superb!) Their entire opening position revolves around PBS. They will have to abandon their entire position and start from scratch to get rid of PBS. As you well know, an Arbitrator is very unlikely to get involved until there are only a few minor differences remaining between the parties.....that will never be the case as long as we maintain our "No PBS" stance. When it does make it to Arbitration the Company has a solid claim that "Everyone else is doing it and we need it to be competitive". Wasn't the Union saying that the Arbitrators told us they loved our "Interim" approach and that we shouldn't expect much help from them as we are far better off than our peers at the Pax carriers?? Knowing that, and the fact that both the RLA and the NMB are designed to protect commerce (and not necessarily us....the labor) I think the company has a fairly good shot at prevailing in an Arbitration under this scenario.....

I don't think we would ever get released to self help....and that an imposition of terms by Congress or the President (I forget the actual mechanism and sequence here) is more likely .....by far......than self help. Again, the Company's argument that everyone else has it and we need it is both truthful and believable and will probably carry the day, not to mention the fact that FedEx donates a lot more money than the combined ALPA PAC.....

As much as I am opposed to PBS, I think we are in for a terrific fight here....or we may get the old switcheroo and get handed a second opener that makes PBS look like a sweetheart deal !!

Either way, we need UNITY, and I don't mean just wearing a lanyard !! I hope we are able to find it.......