View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM
block30
Bracing for Fallacies

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: In favor of good things, not in favor of bad things

Originally Posted by MongoPawnInLife View Post
I've been AD, traditional Guard and traditional Reserve. I retired from the Reserves but I've known plenty of people who have retired from the traditional Guard.

That's the only question you asked.
Ha. True.

I'm particularly curious about how the health care works. I've read and heard things, but I'd like to know from somebody who really knows or is actually retired now. So when I retire after 20 + years, do I lose the ability to use TRS until age 60? Then at age 60 I get Tri Care again? And my spouse, too? Is Tri Care free or at a cost then? I've heard the health care benefit is where the Guard retirement is really valuable.

I'm also interested in opinions on using TSP.

I pretty much know how the pay works...wait til age 60 then points times paygrade/years service formula, right? I am also aware of the pre age 60 pay for time deployed...I should get a few months credit for that.

Oh, if I am drawing my guard retirement pay check, does that affect my social security check? For example if I am getting 1,000 dollars a month from the military, does my SS go down by 1,000 dollars a month? (if SS even exists in the future)

It seems nobody I talk to really knows. A guy in my shop is about to retire after 24 years, and he doesn't really know. I harass all the older guys. Pretty everyone says, "Well, ya turn age 60 and.... that's...uh...ya know, when it kicks in."

Define "it".

I appreciate your time.