View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by hoserpilot View Post
Not true. BUT! If you have higher time you need to make yourself stand out. A 10000 hour applicant who was a check airmen will get the call before the 10000 hour straight line pilot.
Over all that's probably true. But I'd say its more a matter of correlation than it is cause.

The 10000+ hour straight line pilot (which ironically is probably the vast majority of pilots at any legacy) has, more often than not, either found a pasture to graze in with no sense of urgency to move on. Or maybe a few can't move on for various competitive reasons (no degree and most upward movements require one, etc). You have some that just fall through the cracks.

But at the same time I'm constantly running into pilots at various career stages that would like to move on but never applied or never updated, don't network, don't prepare at all even if they do score an interview, etc. I think DL, as well as any airline, does value higher time as long as it isn't just the product of being lazy or unambitious and is coupled with a little more evidence of well rounded motivation on the part of the applicant. If you've been at it that long, they are probably going to want to see something else besides time building. Everyone brings up check airman and that's great, but those positions are few and far between and they know that. But there are many, many other things on and off the job that will frost someone's resume cake just as well.

There's a lot of lower time pilots that do just that. And a lot of higher time pilots that do little to nothing "extra", don't prepare and don't network and sit around wondering why they don't get the call and blame it on being high time.