Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 AM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Originally Posted by LowSlowT2 View Post
I retired last year, but my money is on sequestration. There is an internal political price to pay with the pilot bonus and it's a tougher one to pay during tough budget times. Can you imagine the AF Times headline: Base gyms close as pilots get bonuses.

Traditionally, the bonus doesn't affect many folks' decision. Those who are getting out are getting out - no amount of money is going to change their minds. Those who are going to stay, stay regardless of the money - it's just gravy. There is some gray in the middle, but largely, these are small numbers in the overall grand scheme of things.

During the hiring booms of the late '90s, no amount of money could keep most folks in...but it sure was nice for those of us who stayed in.
Then why not get rid of the cotton-pickin' thing in the first place? If it is so inconsequential to the outcome, and I do agree with you that it doesn't keep people from making the decision to punch or not, what is the AF's perception of the purpose of this bonus??

I can only surmise that the ability to lock people out from exercising 7-day options while still vulnerable to RIF would be the only remaining reason. And even then, people do that anyways by agreeing to a PCS/training commitment that puts them to 15+ years. You don't need a bonus for that.

As to the people for whom 18K post tax is a make or break situation to their household cashflow as O-4 income earners, sweet Jesus they need a Dave Ramsey webinar, not an ACP. Maybe a divorce lawyer.

I just don't get the whole ACP angst. Maybe it's a function of a vocal minority on the internet. Maybe most folks offline really don't have it in their radar scope of priorities...