Old 05-22-2013, 04:18 PM
BDGERJMN
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Walmart Greeter

Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Then why not get rid of the cotton-pickin' thing in the first place? If it is so inconsequential to the outcome, and I do agree with you that it doesn't keep people from making the decision to punch or not, what is the AF's perception of the purpose of this bonus??

I can only surmise that the ability to lock people out from exercising 7-day options while still vulnerable to RIF would be the only remaining reason. And even then, people do that anyways by agreeing to a PCS/training commitment that puts them to 15+ years. You don't need a bonus for that.

As to the people for whom 18K post tax is a make or break situation to their household cashflow as O-4 income earners, sweet Jesus they need a Dave Ramsey webinar, not an ACP. Maybe a divorce lawyer.

I just don't get the whole ACP angst. Maybe it's a function of a vocal minority on the internet. Maybe most folks offline really don't have it in their radar scope of priorities...
Anyone who thinks that ACCP is a retention tool to include FO/GO Leadership who see it pasted as bullets on some end strength slide for the aviation community is flat out mistaken.

Hindsight, you're right. The point of ACCP isn't retention as you alluded to in your summary that folks just don't care about the money in making a decision to get out or not. That said I can tell you flat out that when in the ready room and folks are asked if they opted in or out of DH the first thing out of their collective mouth's if yes is "I took the Devil's money".

So why keep giving it out if its not about retention? I think it is a very useful tool in rewarding those that do stay in for arguably the hardest part of their career in a squadron, that of a operational Department Head in a Navy/Marine Corps squadron or DO in the Air Force with the highest OPTEMPO whether stateside or deployed. ACIP coupled with ACCP isn't a bad 'plus up' for those that agree to stay on for another 5 yrs.

For me when I got out in 2008(great economic time to leave active duty) and decided I'd had enough and transitioned to the reserves/civilian sector, the $$ had zero to do with my decision. It was about quality of life. . Each case is different, but I can tell you that had I stayed in the extra money might have made the quality of life when I was home, a bit better, I don't know.

I think if ACCP truly was a retention tool the services would advocate for the law to be changed to give them the flexibility to turn it off/on as a function of retention. They currently don't have that flexibility without huge budgetary line item battles.