Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 AM
Hilltopper89
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: 737

I took the bonus a long time ago and it would likely not have changed my decision to stay til 20. That said, it would have been nice to have an option to bail at any time if I had wanted to. ACP prevents this and makes you a slave for 5 more years, and most typically for 8-10 because nobody ejects after the 15-17 year point.

I think the real story is pilot retention, especially in the 11Fs. The man has to know that morale is at an all-time low and that they need to fix the system to keep folks around. When I retired a couple months ago I'd say at least half if not more of the 11Fs in my unit were considering getting out. They're just waiting for an interview and a job offer. It got bad enough that our commander got angry when he overheard all the airline talk at work and had words with a buddy who had study materials on his desk.

But based on my contacts at ACC and the like they won't figure it out. I would not be surprised to see stop loss on 11Fs in the future because they aren't addressing it now and won't until it's too late.

On topic, I think pilot morale needs to be addressed and withdrawing ACP will only make matters worse and give guys at the 11-14 point the option to punch if UAL/DL/AL/Jet Blue/Alaska, etc. come calling. Failing to continue ACP is a failure for this reason alone.