Thread: jetBlue Hiring
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 AM
ZapBrannigan
Furloughed Again?!

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Boeing 737

This isn't really part of the topic of this thread (as far as we know) but a buddy of mine sent me an email explaining the 3a lawsuit for those of us who never heard of it before yesterday. I thought the information was important enough to share. Here is what he sent me:

"I’m sure you have heard by now that the judge ruled in favor of the pilots on the “3A arbitration.” 3A refers to the section of our PEA (individual contract) that states that every pilot will receive an identical percentage pay increase that a new hire receives. In 2007, the 190 pilot rates were extremely low and the company increased the 190 pay rates without increasing Airbus wages an equal percentage amount. This was found to be in violation of section 3A of our PEA.

This is obviously good for those pilots that were involved in the lawsuit, but I’m not sure how it will affect us that are not involved. I don’t think it will negatively affect us too much. The good things that came out of this are that there is now legal precedence that we can be viewed as a group and not viewed as individual contractors (beneficial in a merger). Maybe it will also force the company to treat the PEA as a real contract instead of changing it on a whim when they feel necessary.

I don’t know how or when the pilots will be paid as that is yet to be determined. There is obviously a lot of speculation about back pay, future pay rates, and a B-scale. There is a lot of discussion on the company ***** board about future pay rates, and it may stand that after our pay increase for 2014 the rates will be in line to what the pay rates would be as dictated by the 3A ruling, therefore no B-scale. There are some, and especially the lower-level management types, that say the company will do the right thing and if the 3A guys are giving an increase due to the ruling, they will give it to everybody. I would be surprised if that happens, but I don’t really know.

I’ll let you know as I hear more official information, but I am thinking and hoping that this will be better for all pilots. On the downside, the company is now liable for a very large pay out that could have an impact on other areas. We’ll see how it all plays out."