View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 AM
IDIOTPILOT
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010

You're gonna get the exact opposite responses on here that you got on the ERAU FB page which has gotten way too many replies.

EDIT: I'll throw in my two cents. You may not necessarily have to do your CFI ride with an actual inspector depending on which FSDO you're in. The Orlando FSDO has their few approved DEs do them so if you're doing it in the area, it'll be with a DE. These DEs are in my opinion, harder than some inspectors in other parts of the country. If you're gonna do it at a FBO, make sure your instructor is familiar with CFI DE checkrides. The knowledgebase for CFI is huge and some will test for this or that. Having an instructor that has put a lot of students up with specific DEs will lesson the chance of a failure. There's no way to learn everything possible, so focusing on certain important tasks will decrease chances of failing. It will cost you less, but you need to be motivated and a good self study person to get it done this way. A place like American Flyers is gonna have a more structured environment and with familiar DEs or inspectors and they know what they're focused on. It's a lot cheaper than Riddle but with some structure too. Personally, if you're not caring about location, I'd go with them.

Riddle has a far more structured environment. You can stay local in Daytona and you'll have a more familiar baseline for checkrides. How you progress in the course is a lot up to you and your instructor. There's a huge difference in the standards instructors expect for your CFI course modules. As far as Riddle hiring instructors, it all depends on the hiring needs. Just do well on those interviews. Some will say it makes a difference in standardization. They significantly changed the standards process a few years ago to make it more a learning process for everyone. It shouldn't be a problem. They've hired many non-Riddle CFI trained people in the past, and they will continue to do so. If this is important to you, consider is spending another $10,000 worth not having to spend another few hours learning how Riddle wants a specific flow done. Go observe some CFI flights at Riddle if that's what you're worried about it. It's free.

A word of advice, the guy who's mainly replying to you on FB is talking a lot about how it helped him get an instructor gig at his airline. Ask around about how he got the job to become a FO there in the first place.

Last edited by IDIOTPILOT; 05-29-2013 at 08:46 AM.