Old 01-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Eric Stratton
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Fly4Beer
I laugh when I hear crusty old pilots complain that the pilots of LCCs are the downfall of the profession and how LCCs are the downfall of the industry.
So do you not think that work groups who work for considerably less money then their peers at other airlines don't have an impact on the industry? Come on now that's just silly talk and I'm not just talking about pilot pay either.

Here's a thought. If the LCCs do it so much better then the rest why can't they pay their employees the same amount. I have this discussion with one of my buddies and all he says is that we have to stay competitive. but I thought they did it so much better than the others and that's how they stayed competitive.

Since we are pilots let me mention this. 3rd yr CA pay at jetblue was about the same as 3rd yr FO pay at NWA, how does this not have a negative impact on the industry. CA pay alone just about covered the cost of both crew members at jetblue. How does the pay on the 190 compare to similar sized airplanes that were flown at the majors. ie. small DC-9/737. I'm betting that these things make a difference.

I don't think our negociators ever discussed what other airline CEO's made during contract negociations but they did mention what other pilots made quite a bit.

eric