View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 06:10 AM
Sniper
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

I was a big proponent of the Costco method ($100 bag, free return), but when Costco got rid of the 'Kirkland Signature Executive' (its back now, I believe), I had to go with a different option.

I went with the Strongbag Vortex 2 22". Had it for 3 years now, its been around the world. Wheels, zippers, and pull handle are as solid as the day I bought the bag.

Pros:
  • metal on all sides but the top, not just a metal frame (like LW), so the contents are more protected (the top of the bag, obviously, is not hard sided)
  • fits in ERJ and CRJ bins (yes, seriously - it fits!) Caveats: sideways, and the bag can't be too overstuffed
  • lighter than the LW
  • I can replace and repair everything myself
  • Since it's hard-sided, you can add whatever you want to any side of the bag by drilling out a hole to attach, like another handle, with no reinforcement necessary

Cons:
  • occasionally won't fit wheels in/out in old Boeings, or you have to get creative, like putting a pillow under the bag (for the life of me, I don't know why this bag isn't 1/2" shorter, so this issue wouldn't exist)
  • I have to remember to tighten the nuts under the grab handle on top of the bag about once a year - if I forget, the nut falls off into the bag, and then I have to go fish it out, which usually requires removing all the contents of the bag to open the lining - just 5 minutes, but a pain. Or maybe I am a sissy and can't tighten a nut properly.
  • no longer available to purchase at the Stop Over Store. It's hard to do a direct comparison on the LW and the SB when Stop Over Store doesn't carry the SB (SOS is owned by LW now, so they don't carry the competition)

Mainline rampers broke both of my plastic slide rails on the underside of the bag in one single incident (dropped hard onto the bin lip or the bin door was closed on the bag, I'm thinking). SB replacements arrived 2 days later via priority mail, 5 minutes with a screw driver and the bag is good as new. I've seen a LW bag's frame get bent when a ramper did this - that's some major damage.

Very happy overall with my purchase.