View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 09:10 AM
wrxpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
The largest aircraft the guy I know who just got hired at Atlas flew was a Falcon 200. No prior 121 time. I also know plenty of 121 guys who applied to Atlas who weren't even acknowledged. Granted, this is freight, not legacy mainline, but its still part 121 heavy.

Not sure about the likes of FedEx and UPS, but it appears Atlas prefers guys with previous freight experience.

Its sad to see military guys having to do a stint at the regionals. What happened to the ex Vietnam pilots walking straight into the majors? It will be interesting to see how Delta treats these guys when they start hiring again.

I agree that a few years in the left seat at a regional checks most of the boxes at the majors, and that's where the majority of the applicants come from, but I won't accept that its the only way in.
If I were an instructor with around 1,000 hours, I would be keeping my options open before signing up for a year of top ramen and dirty crash pads.
Not really sure what the value is of citing one guy who went to Atlas without 121 time. Statistically, it is an irrelevant datapoint.

That being said, keeping your options open is key to happiness in this business. My career has gone nothing like I thought it would. I had some doors open very early that I never dreamed of, and some things that I thought would be a certainty never happened.