Old 01-20-2006, 07:12 PM
GliderCFI
Cloudbase

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 717A
Default Jets or turboprops? Is the jet worth the long upgrade time?

I'm about a year away from college graduation from MTSU, and I'm starting to really research job options hardcore. My ultimate goals aren't any different than everybody else out there, fly for UPS or Fedex. I have a ton of connections at UPS, including a few MTSU alumni there who offered to fly with me so as to do a pilot referral when the time comes. My question is reguarding the turbine time required. I've got connections at places like RegionsAir, who operates Jetstreams, and Air Cargo Carriers, a 135 operation with a ton of Shorts. They both offer about 10 months to the left seat, which would be fantastic to get the turbine PIC that early. I'm also set to graduate about 3 months after my 21st birthday, so it really wouldn't do me any good unless I was at a 135 operation whereas I'd have to be 23 for the ATP. Anyway, the guys I know at UPS have told me that now, I'll really need jet time rather that turboprop to get on there. Is this true? Basically, are the long upgrade times (4-7 yrs) in a jet worth the jet time? Or will turboprop carry just the same weight on a resume? Really seeking some experienced opinions here. Thanks.....