View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:59 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by MikeInTx View Post
Thanks Rick

Range of motion and strength are very good in both shoulders, just don't know if I could win any bench press contests...

Thanks for the info, its reassuring.

I would hate to get to a hireable point in flying only to be told 'sorry too many surgeries.'

Questions
Q1: Do I have to disclose the fact that I've had multiple shoulder surgeries?

Q2: Do regional/major carriers perform a battery of physical tests on potential employees? (pull-ups, push-ups, vo2 max, etc)

Thanks,

Mike

Q1: To the FAA, yes otherwise you are committing a federal felony. To the airline, legally no...but if they find out later, you WILL be 100% fired. Airlines have a habit of finding things out. I've always disclosed EVERYTHING...I would rather not get hired in the first place than get hired, give up my seniority at my old job, start the new job THEN get fired. Now you're on the street with a termination for lying on your record. Time to find that flyer for the truck driving school...

Q2: No US airlines do physical fitness tests on pilot candidates (although Cathay Pacific and other foriegn carriers probably will). Flight attendents usually have to bend over and lift 40 pounds, but I don't recall ever doing that at a pilot interview.

Like I said before, a few majors might have a problem with the history, but I think the trend in the future is going towards just accepting a copy of your FAA medical...many carriers (including most regionals) do this now.