Old 01-20-2006, 07:58 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by GliderCFI

Anyway, the guys I know at UPS have told me that now, I'll really need jet time rather that turboprop to get on there. Is this true?
Are you asking us to contradict what the guys you know at UPS have told you?

Here's the deal: The minimums are published on the websites, and you can read them there. The trouble is, you don't have those minimums today, and by the time you do, they may have changed, the economy may have changed, the companies may have changed... and the guys you know may have changed their minds.

Unless you know someone with a crystal ball, you make the choices that are best for you based on your own personal likes and dislikes, and the best information available at THIS time. Once you've made the decision, don't look back to second-guess it. Even if you subsequently learn something that would have changed your decision had you known it then, you can't criticize your decision. You made it with the best information you had, and you live with it. Don't look back, look ahead.

My 2 cents? All things equal, I'd go for the job that promises the best potential for turbine PIC. How soon, and how much? Upgrading in 6 months and flying 15 hrs per month would not be as good as upgrading in 12 months and flying 75 hrs per month. Do the best you can do in whatever seat you find yourself. FedEx looks for discriminators like Line Check Airmen, Chief Pilot, stuff like that. Go the extra mile, and it will pay dividends.

Good luck with your decision, and with your career.

- The truth only hurts if it should -