View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

At one of my lectures last year a FBI Agent told me "It is ludicrous to think a captain should have any command authority during a crisis."
Once the aircraft is on the ground and shut down, he's quite correct.

If a captain wants to land, park and say the hell with it, I am headed out the emergency hatch, so be it. All that shows is they were not either willing to participate further or could not. In either case it should be their call.
No, it shows they're following procedure, and further discussion on that point should not have had on an open forum.

One of the problems with law enforcement today is they do not view the captain as a trained resource, they view them as just a victim who was made to drive the plane.
In most all cases, the captain isn't a trained resource (beyond FFDO's, who have basic, minimal training regarding the use of their firearm, and only then in the cockpit under narrowly defined circumstances).

The captain is trained to make command decisions regarding operation of the aircraft in flight. The captain is not trained to make tactical defensive decisions. Once on the ground and shut down, the captain is a prisoner in the cockpit, and in most cases, is best removed from the aircraft to prevent its further use. You should know that.