View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Par18
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2013
Position: AV-8B
Default AV-8B type looking for future advice

I am new to this forum and have not posted anything here thus far. So, for a little history on myself, I am currently on AD about to start my B-Billet that will have nothing to do with me being at the controls of an aircraft. As the title states, I am a Harrier pilot with about 800Hrs total time up to this point in my career. My next PCS could very well be my last as my obligation will be up by 2017. I am trying to figure out what would be best for me at this point and I would like some advice from those of you who have gone before me.

My primary goal is to get back into the cockpit after this next non-flying tour. I'm hoping to get back into the fleet but there is no way to predict what direction that is headed in. I should have a pretty good shot at getting back to the training command though and I will absolutely request that. However, in the event that does not work out, I would like to continue flying one way or another.

So, my first question for you all is about the prospect of flying for the ANG. Being a Harrier guy, A/A is not exactly my specialty. If I were to apply for a fighter unit, what effect will this lack of A/A quals/experience have on my acceptance? At this point, the ANG is my primary choice for post active duty flying.

Also, should the ANG not work out for some reason, what civilian ratings should be working on prior to my active duty time coming to an end so I can line myself up with the best way possible? I am currently holding a fixed wing commercial instrument. I suppose time will tell how the airlines will pan out over the next few years so there is no point in guessing about who will hire and who will not. So, these are just the few basic questions that I have. If you guys have anything additional to add, I'm all ears. Thanks.