Thread: Silver Airways
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 04:29 AM
200Driver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2012
Position: I'm Buying

Originally Posted by Chrisw View Post
All airlines will have their drawbacks and unhappy people so beware of that. Truthfully I still feel now would be a good time to come to silver. Nobody really knows the upgrade time but I feel 2 years is probably accurate even though others may disagree. Bases and commutability will change here in the near future when they have a staffing bid which is pretty much the opportunity to re-shuffle based on your seniority. We need more pilots for sure and I think if you can survive a couple years on Fo pay you will be in a descent place.
I don't think the staffing bid will really cause to much shuffle. This is because the bid will be a vacancy only bid, the only displacements will be from the BIL guys. There may be a little movement from them shuffling but I don't see a whole lot. The GNV base will be expanded as well as the CLE system so this will also help keep movement to a minimum. You also aren't gonna see many upgrades (vacancy only), maybe one class, probably mostly BIL senior guys who can hold it.

I don't think Silver is a bad place depending on what you are looking for and a 2 year upgrade wouldn't be unrealistic but that would be the soonest in my opinion. As far as commuting, depends on the base. Out stations in the ATL, IAD, and CLE system tough to say the least, but ATL and IAD themselves not bad, however these are reserve only basses. Silver has potential but this potential depends on what your career goals and QOL expectations are.