Thread: Silver Airways
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM
flightmedic01
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: Reclining

Originally Posted by flight81 View Post
I applied today. 1500TT, 600 multi, 350 turbine, part 121. I have a few questions

1. Is commuting possible and/or doable?
2. What is the most likely new hire base?
3. How long before you can hold a line and have some kind of QOL?
4. What types of lines are available?
5. How is reserve worked?
6. Upgrade time?

I know things change a lot, but I will take a best guess. Just want some intel should I get a call.
1) Commuting is always possible. It just depends on how much free time you're willing to give up. Most of the new hires in the last few months were hired on the 1900, so we have outstation basing in small communities in PA and WV. So commuting kinda sux. And CLE isn't the best commuting hub either.
2) If you get hired on the 1900, it would be BFD, DUJ or PKB. But there is a new staffing bid coming out in the next week since Silver is closing their BIL 1900 base. So, with those guys bidding back east, who really knows where the cards will fall. CLE is also opening as a small reserve-only base. Since I'm on the 1900, I'm not really sure about Saab openings or staffing issues.
3)Again, hard to say with the new staffing bid coming out. Some new hires have gotten lines right away. But I also know of several that have been on reserve (DUJ) and been onreserve for a year! So it just depends on luck and timing I suppose.
4) 1900 lines in the CLE system are all day trips with no overnights. So you'll definitely need a crash pad. Saab trips vary by base. Saab outstations in the IAD and ATL system are mostly day drips as well from what I gather. The Florida Saab bases have mostly overnights, but those bases are relatively senior. So don't expect to get FLL, TPA or GNV.
5) Reserve is the standard 90 minute call out. 12 hour reserve period, typically 6-6, but it can vary. No long call reserve or airport (ready) reserve.
6) You'd need a crystal ball for this one. Too many variables. Depends on if the Company decides to get any more planes, but I've heard there are no more Saab 340 B+ aircraft available on the market. Also, the 1900 fleet is shrinking as well with the closing of the Billings operation.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your decision.