Thread: Silver Airways
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 12:06 PM
joethepilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by 200Driver View Post
Originally Posted by flightmedic01 View Post
Not really sure about what a "vacancy only" staffing bid is. I thought a staffing bid was a staffing bid!! If your seniority can hold it, you can bid it and be awarded it. Silver then has a year to honor the award. So if a Saab F/O wants a captain position and he can hold it, then he gets awarded that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats how I interpret it.
A "vacancy only" bid means you only get the base / seat if there is a vacancy. Meaning guys can not be bumped out of there base or seat unless a displaced pilot (i.e BIL) bids for that specific spot. This is directly from our contract and silver management. Our contract clearly states that staffing bids can only be used for vacancy realignment. Guys can not be bumped out of base, aircraft, or seat just because a senior guys wants it. Thus there will not be much movement, few downgrades or displacements and limited upgrades. This is how the contract reads and is the cheapest way for management to go.
This, except when someone leaves for another base that creates a secondary vacancy, that is then filled by seniority. For example, they say that GNV is expanding, so If an aoo ca takes and is awarded the GNV vacancy then his leaving would create a vacancy in aoo that the most senior pilot that has aoo ca in their bid would get awarded that slot. Conversely if all aoo ca spots are presently filled and no one moves out voluntarily then even the #1 guy in the system wouldn't get an aoo ca spot. Only someone that is displaced (I.e. BIL pilots) could bump into aoo in this scenario, assuming that someone junior to them is in that base and seat presently. This would then cause the most junior ca in aoo to become displaced and he would then have displacement rights.